US Energy Secretary Chris Wright has renewed a previously-issued emergency order to prevent the 1.42-gigawatt JH Campbell coal-fired power plant in West Olive, Michigan from ceasing operations, his department said on Friday.
The plant, owned by CMS Energy (CMS) unit Consumers Energy, was slated to shutdown on May 31 last year, according to a statement from the department. However, on May 23 2025, it was instructed to keep operating via an emergency order, with subsequent extensions issued throughout 2025 and 2026.
The new emergency order, effective Monday, will keep the plant operating through Nov. 14. The order directs the Midcontinent Independent System Operator, in coordination with Consumers Energy, ensure that the plant remains available to operate and employ economic dispatch to minimize costs for customers.
The order has been issued to address "critical grid reliability issues in the Midwest", the statement said.
According to the 2025 Long-Term Reliability Assessment report published by the North American Electric Reliability Corporation, the Midcontinent Independent System Operator is at high risk of experiencing energy shortages in the next five years.
More than 17 gigawatts of coal-powered electricity generation was retained on the grid beyond its intended lifespan by the Trump administration in 2025, the statement said.