FINWIRES · TerminalLIVE
FINWIRES

Refinery Outages Drive Diesel Price Surge as Global Supply Tightens, Enverus Says

By

Refinery outages, rather than crude supply, are driving diesel prices higher as global capacity constraints tighten product markets and leave little room to absorb further disruptions, Enverus Intelligence Research said in a note Thursday.

Diesel is trading near $180 per barrel against $85/bbl WTI, giving refiners roughly a $100-a-barrel crack spread, an all-time high that reflects severe product shortages.

About 7 million barrels per day to 8 million b/d of global refining capacity remains offline, limiting the market's ability to supply diesel at the pace required by demand, Enverus said.

The record crack spread shows refiners capturing an unusually large margin as the diesel market increasingly relies on product availability rather than price to balance supply and demand.

Ukrainian strikes have taken roughly 5 million b/d of Russian refining capacity offline, while drone attacks have shut another 2 million b/d of refining capacity in the Middle East.

Russia has also halted diesel exports to protect domestic supplies, while the closure of the Strait of Hormuz has restricted crude access for some refiners, further tightening product markets.

Enverus said the outlook depends on the pace of Ukrainian strikes and Russian refinery repairs, with no reliable timeline for restoring the disrupted capacity. US refiners are already operating near 96% utilization.

The US Department of Energy is working to maintain that high utilization rate, but limited spare capacity leaves the US market vulnerable to additional disruptions, including risks from the hurricane season, according to Enverus.

Low product inventories are also leaving Canadian consumers with little protection against higher diesel prices. Enverus expects prices to continue rising rather than stabilize until refining capacity returns or demand weakens.

The International Energy Agency expects global oil demand to grow by roughly 2 million b/d next year, but Enverus said that outlook depends on the Strait of Hormuz reopening and a durable peace.

China remains a key variable after reducing crude purchases earlier this year before returning to the market, potentially indicating that Beijing expects the disruption to last and is rebuilding inventories.

Trump's social media post about the Keystone pipeline signals stronger interest in Canadian crude and Alberta export options, including the existing Bridger/South Bow route and potential access to Asian markets.

Canadian producers remain cautious about committing to costly Pacific pipeline infrastructure while forward crude prices hover near $75/bbl for next year. Three routes remain in contention: an East Coast line, a Pacific option and the Bridger route.

Enverus said crude prices appear $10/bbl to $15/bbl below levels implied by physical inventories, while 6 million b/d to 8 million b/d of Middle Eastern supply remains shut in. Strong demand could eventually force prices higher as fundamentals tighten.

Related Articles

Oil & Energy

Powerus Secures $22 Million Middle East Counter-Drone Contract to Protect Energy Infrastructure

Autonomous Power secured a $22.3 million contract to deploy counter-drone technology to protect critical oil and gas infrastructure in the Middle East, the company said Thursday.Autonomous Power, doing business as Powerus, will lead a phased deployment of networked counter-unmanned aircraft system technology that can detect, track and classify potential drone threats.The system will give the customer a unified view of drone threats through its operations center, helping operators identify and assess potential risks.The initial deployment will provide early drone warnings to support safety decisions, while allowing future integration of Powerus' Guardian interceptor technology.Powerus will deploy the system in phases based on customer needs. The company did not disclose the customer, locations, facilities or system configurations."This commercial contract reflects the direction we believe the counter-drone market is heading - toward integrated, networked protection of critical oil and gas infrastructure," said Brett Velicovich, co-founder and president of Powerus.The deal expands Powerus' work with international energy operators and strengthens its position in counter-drone protection for critical infrastructure.

Oil & Energy

Mauritius, India Sign Energy Deals to Strengthen Petroleum Supply Security

Mauritius and India have agreed on new energy cooperation, including an oil and gas memorandum of understanding and a supply agreement aimed at strengthening Mauritius' energy security, the Mauritius Prime Minister's Office said Thursday.The memorandum will promote cooperation between the two countries on petroleum product supplies and strengthen Mauritius' access to energy.The MOU was exchanged by Jean Daniel Philippe Labonne, supervising officer at Mauritius' Ministry of Commerce and Consumer Protection, and Anurag Srivastava, India's High Commissioner to Mauritius.Mauritius' State Trading and Indian Oil also entered into a Sale and Purchase Agreement to ensure continued, secure supplies of white oil products."Since 2025, our partnership has evolved into a strategic relationship encompassing cooperation in infrastructure, health, education, maritime security and sustainable development, with this new collaboration in energy security adding yet another dimension to it," said Mauritius Prime Minister Navinchandra Ramgoolam.Ramgoolam said the partnership will ensure continuity of energy supplies, protect Mauritius' economy and citizens from external disruptions, and support the country's sustainable growth."This milestone in our energy partnership is yet another expression of a truly special friendship that will continue to flourish through generations," said Hardeep Singh Puri, India's Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas.Ramgoolam, Puri and other officials attended the exchange ceremony held at Port Louis.

Oil & Energy

Hormuz Traffic Remains Disrupted as Attacks, Mine Threat Constrain Tanker Flows

Commercial vessel traffic through the Strait of Hormuz remained disrupted this week as attacks and the threat of mines kept tanker traffic constrained.The latest Joint Maritime Information Center note released Thursday reported one confirmed attack in the Strait of Hormuz, according to the UK Maritime Trade Operations.The strategic waterway remains rated a severe threat area, with the risk of drifting or uncharted mines continuing to pose a danger to vessels operating in and around the traffic separation scheme.Commercial traffic through the strait remained below-normal levels in the Hormuz, according to the note.The UKMTO reported one confirmed attack in the Southern Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb during the reporting period."Commercial traffic through the Southern Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb continues at reduced levels, consistent with the pattern established after the 20 July Houthi declaration of a naval blockade against Saudi Arabia and earlier confirmed attacks on vessels in the region," according to the JMIC note.The security situation deteriorated further in the Gulf of Aden, where six armed men reportedly boarded an oil-products tanker, seized control of the vessel and redirected it toward Somalia, the maritime agency said.Meanwhile, the US has continued enforcing a blockade in the Strait of Hormuz against vessels attempting to enter or leave Iranian ports.The Central Command in a post on X on Thursday said it has redirected 67 commercial vessels, disabled three and boarded two to enforce its blockade against Iran as of Thursday.The International Maritime Organization's daily Strait of Hormuz incident tracker showed that the total number of confirmed maritime security incidents in the region was 67 as of Thursday.An incident was reported on Monday in the Strait of Hormuz where a bulk carrier was damaged, and a seafarer was killed, according to the tracker.The IMO tracker provides a daily log of verified strikes on ships attempting to transit the Strait of Hormuz since the conflict began, with the earliest incident recorded on March 1.The combination of depressed Hormuz traffic, continued attacks in the Red Sea and the latest hijacking in the Gulf of Aden points to a fragmented maritime security environment across the UAE.