FINWIRES · TerminalLIVE
FINWIRES

Middle East Crude Flows Remain 4.5 Million Barrels/Day Below Pre-Conflict Levels, Vortexa Says

By

Middle East crude flows remain about 4.5 million barrels per day below pre-conflict levels despite a recovery in exports via alternative routes, according to Rohit Rathod, a senior oil market analyst at Vortexa.

In an interview with, Rathod said waterborne flows out of the Middle East have recovered over the past six months, but not entirely through the Strait of Hormuz. Some UAE barrels have been redirected through Fujairah, while Saudi Arabia has moved Arab Light crude through Yanbu using the East-West pipeline.

"That recovery has taken place, but we are still give or take,... short by say around 4.5 mmbbl/d of crude compared to the Jan-Feb levels before this conflict picked up," Rathod said.

The assessment comes after US Energy Secretary Chris Wright said on X on Aug. 11 that the seven-day average for oil leaving the Strait of Hormuz was "up to almost 9 million b/d," that total flows, including newly upgraded pipelines and export facilities, were averaging about 15 mmbbl/d, and that over 20 million barrels left the Arabian Gulf region on Aug. 11 alone.

On the magnitude of the flows cited by Wright, Rathod said the two estimates may not be directly comparable because they appear to cover different categories of flows.

"I don't know where he is getting that number, but I don't think it's that high," Rathod said.

Vortexa's weekly average was about 4.2 mmbbl/d for crude, condensate and clean products, excluding liquefied petroleum gas and liquefied natural gas, according to Rathod.

He said Wright may have been combining vessel transits through Hormuz with alternative loadings from Yanbu and other export facilities.

"Where he is coming from is basically that 14 million is probably the transits via Hormuz by vessels," Rathod said, adding that Wright may also have included Yanbu and other loadings.

Wright followed up with an X post on Aug. 12, saying the Energy Department, working with the US military, maintains the "best available data" on oil leaving the Arabian Gulf, and arguing that private trackers undercount vessel traffic through the Strait of Hormuz because some ships transit the waterway covertly.

Rathod acknowledged that a meaningful share of current Hormuz and Bab el-Mandeb transits are happening dark, with vessels switching off their automatic identification systems to avoid being targeted.

Despite the recovery in Middle Eastern flows, alternative export routes are increasingly being tested by security risks and capacity constraints.

Before the conflict, Yanbu crude loadings were about 1.4 mmbbl/d to 1.5 mmbbl/d, Rathod said. After Saudi Arabia began redirecting barrels away from the Strait of Hormuz, loadings rose to over 4 mmbbl/d, even approaching 5 mmbbl/d a few times.

However, loadings have since fallen to about 3 mmbbl/d, with the latest week at about 2.5 mmbbl/d, as the Houthi threat around the Bab el-Mandeb, the chokepoint on the Red Sea route that is the primary alternative to a direct Hormuz transit, has made that route increasingly risky. "Those alternate routes are also under pressure because of the Houthi threat," Rathod said.

Saudi Arabia has responded by moving more barrels through Egypt, with loadings at Sidi Kerir on the Mediterranean side of the Sumed pipeline rising to more than 2 mmbbl/d, according to Rathod.

"Even that Sumed pipeline is now running at full capacity," he said.

The rerouting of Middle Eastern crude is also tightening global tanker availability as vessels remain engaged for longer periods, reducing their ability to return to other loading regions.

A voyage from Yanbu to South Korea that previously took roughly 22 to 25 days can now require almost an additional month if a vessel avoids the Bab el-Mandeb and travels around the Cape of Good Hope instead, Rathod said.

"It keeps the vessels engaged for longer, so that reduces supply for loading from somewhere else," he said.

The longer voyages are also increasing vessel ton-miles and bunker fuel demand, while benefiting shipowners and operators through longer vessel employment, Rathod said.

Despite the security risks, flows through the Strait of Hormuz have not returned to the "trickle" levels seen around the end of May and early June, Rathod said.

"We have consistent flows coming out. It's just that they are dark flows," he said, adding that even vessels carrying non-Iranian and nonsanctioned cargoes have been switching off their automatic identification systems during transits to reduce the risk of being targeted.

The Atlantic Basin has meanwhile helped provide marginal barrels to the global market, with crude exports from the US Gulf Coast, Brazil, Venezuela, Argentina, Guyana and West Africa increasing during April-June, Rathod said.

"All these combined have managed to keep the global market somewhat supplied with marginal barrels," he said.

The US has emerged as an important source of additional supply, although strong refining margins are now encouraging domestic refiners to compete with exporters for crude.

US crude exports were at record levels during April-June, with the Strategic Petroleum Reserve release also helping keep domestic refiners supplied. SPR barrels themselves were not the main driver of exports, with a maximum of around 400,000-450,000 bbl/d of SPR crude exported during some periods in April and May, Rathod said.

Instead, the releases kept domestic refiners supplied and freed up other US crude. This included medium-sour North American grades such as Mars and Poseidon, which saw differentials under pressure from the SPR release, prompting movement into export markets, particularly to Northeast Asian buyers such as South Korea and Japan.

US crude exports have since slowed as refiners run at strong utilization rates, but Rathod expects exports to begin recovering in the second half of August and into September.

Ballast vessels are moving toward the US Gulf Coast and are expected to arrive in late August and early September, while arbitrage economics to Europe remain open, he said.

"We might see exports picking up, but again, it remains to be seen. This is not new supply that is coming to the market. They will have to compete with basically US refiners," Rathod said. US crude exports could still move back above 4 mmbbl/d in September, he said.

The ability of Atlantic Basin producers and alternative Middle Eastern routes to keep balancing the market could become more significant if Asian crude demand strengthens.

China has been drawing down its oil inventories since around May, Rathod said, and could reach its five-year average inventory level around October or November if the trend continues.

That would leave China needing to return to the international market for additional barrels, potentially pitting it against refiners in South Korea, Japan and India.

Rathod said the timing could extend into early 2027 if China has additional underground inventories that are not captured by Vortexa's data.

"So, giving them the leeway, maybe they have more in underground stocks and they can draw down for a few more months, but those few more months probably end in Q1 2027, and then you have even the Chinese going in to secure barrels for themselves," he said.

Asian buyers are already taking part in dark ship-to-ship transfers offshore Oman and Fujairah, Rathod said, with China, South Korea and Japan among the buyers taking those cargoes.

If Middle East disruptions persist and Asian refiners begin rebuilding inventories simultaneously, the market's current ability to balance barrels through alternative routes could come under much greater pressure.

"So at that point, I think the arb essentially won't matter anymore, and it will be a scramble for barrels," Rathod said.

On crude prices, Rathod said they are likely to stay bullish. However, he said it was worth comparing the current situation to a similar event, the Russia-Ukraine conflict.

With the Middle East disruption, which Rathod described as "a much bigger supply shock to the world," the analyst said prices have not reacted as drastically. "Yes, they are high, but we are not beyond $100 per barrel, which is surprising given the scenario right now," he said.

He added that markets are currently in steep backwardation, where prompt supply is tight and much of the market sentiment is riding on hopes of a peace deal.

Related Articles

Oil & Energy

Trump Says Strait of Hormuz to be Declared US Territory 'Pretty Soon'

US President Donald Trump said Friday that he would soon declare the Strait of Hormuz US territory, as tensions remained elevated over the critical waterway."Pretty soon I'll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States," Trump said.Trump made the remarks during a speech on Long Island, New York on Friday.The US President described the naval blockade as "unstoppable" and a "wall of steel.""No ships get through unless we want them to," he said.Trump defended US actions in the Middle East, saying US citizens may have to pay somewhat more for gasoline as a result of the conflict."I just say this. So for you to pay a tiny little bit more for your gasoline, just remember you're doing it so that a very evil country cannot have a country," Trump said, reiterating his stance that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon.Iran's Deputy Foreign Minister for Legal and International Affairs Kazem Gharibabadi responded to Trump's comments in a post on X."The Strait of Hormuz cannot be seized by tweet, nor by aircraft carrier, nor by issuing an order, nor by an election speech. Iran neither fears threats nor cowers before displays of power," Gharibabadi said.

Oil & Energy

Oil Posts Weekly Rise as Geopolitical Risks Offset Bearish Demand Outlook

Global oil benchmarks logged weekly gains on Friday as persistent Middle East supply risks and Strait of Hormuz bottlenecks overshadowed bearish demand revisions.West Texas Intermediate settled at $82.40 per barrel, up from $77.08/bbl the previous week, while Brent closed at $88.73/bbl, up from $82.35/bbl a week earlier.The rebound broke a two-week losing streak as markets navigated a tug-of-war between enduring Middle East supply threats and mounting downward pressures from weak global demand and higher US crude stockpiles.Supply anxieties intensified following a wave of regional security incidents.The Abu Dhabi National Oil Company reported that two of its vessels were attacked while trying to cross the Strait of Hormuz, while Houthi drone strikes targeted Saudi Aramco's Jazan refinery on the Red Sea coast.Furthermore, stalled diplomatic talks between the US and Iran, compounded by mutual demands for financial compensation and ongoing naval blockades, left the critical Hormuz waterway effectively restricted.Analysts noted that while alternative bypass pipelines and modest traffic increases have helped partial flows, persistent disruptions continue to command a heavy risk premium."Oil prices are currently being pulled in two opposing directions: supply risks in the Middle East continue to provide support, while weakening global demand, a sharp increase in US crude inventories, and the prospect of higher OPEC+ production are exerting downward pressure," said Linh Tran, Market Analyst at XS.comOn the demand side, major energy agencies delivered sharply bearish revisions.OPEC lowered its global oil demand growth forecast for 2026 to 600,000 barrels per day in its monthly oil market report.Simultaneously, the International Energy Agency projected that global consumption would contract by 1.6 million barrels per day this year, a steeper drop than previously estimated as elevated prices and regional supply bottlenecks weigh heavily on usage.Meanwhile, domestic US supply metrics added to the market's complexity.The Energy Information Administration reported that US commercial crude inventories surged by 17.4 million barrels to 424.4 million barrels in the week ended Aug. 7, marking the largest weekly build since 2023 and driven largely by a jump in imports and a slowdown in exports.However, analysts pointed out that steep draws in refined products such as gasoline and diesel signaled tighter global product markets.Looking ahead, the EIA's latest Short-Term Energy Outlook expects US crude inventories to remain below the five-year low through the end of 2026.Due to ongoing constraints in the Strait of Hormuz, the EIA forecasts Brent spot prices to average around $85/bbl in Q3 of 2026.The US oil rig count increased by one from 454 the previous week to 455 in the week ending Aug. 14, according to data from Baker Hughes (BKR) released Friday. The US had 412 oil rigs in operation a year earlier.The consolidated North American oil and gas rig count, a key early indicator of future production levels, increased by eight to 812 from 804 the previous week.Money managers in the WTI crude futures and options markets maintained their net long positions in the week ended Aug. 11, according to the Commodity Futures Trading Commission's latest Commitments of Traders report released on Friday.

$BKR
Oil & Energy

US Oil Update: Crude Settles Higher as US Threatens Economic Isolation of Iran

Crude futures settled higher in after-hours trading on Friday after the US said its naval blockade of Iranian ports could continue "indefinitely" and Adnoc vessels were attacked in the Strait of Hormuz, reigniting concerns over global supply disruption.Front-month West Texas Intermediate crude futures rose by 1.4% to $82.40 per barrel, while Brent futures advanced 2% to $88.80/bbl.Gelber & Associates strategists said that prices found support after the US threatened to maintain its naval blockade of Iran indefinitely, while tanker attacks and reduced traffic through the Hormuz kept immediate supply risks elevated.Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said on Friday that the US would announce additional measures next week, describing them as economic actions on a scale not previously seen, according to media reports.Bessent said the US will continue its naval blockade of Iran's ports, part of Washington's pressure campaign to push Tehran to reopen the Hormuz.Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth reportedly said on Thursday that the US military had the capacity to sustain its naval presence in the region indefinitely.Saxo Bank strategists said the absence of fresh escalation around the still-closed Hormuz, combined with the previous week's very large US inventory build, has encouraged some profit-taking.Fueling bullish sentiment, the UAE said late on Thursday that Iran attacked two vessels linked to state-owned energy giant Adnoc Group, which were transiting the Hormuz.Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps said on Friday that the Strait remains closed, dismissing US claims about the level of maritime and oil traffic through the strategic waterway.Ali Ozamaei, the commander of the IRGC Navy, said the Strait of Hormuz is closed and that Iranian forces maintain firm control over activity in the waterway, according to Iranian state media.Tensions around the Middle East energy chokepoints remain elevated on Aug. 1, though the number of confirmed crossings increased, with Hormuz recording 13 crossings, up 44% day on day, while Bab el-Mandeb traffic rose 4% to 29 crossings.Meanwhile, two slicks have appeared in Iranian waters, as tit-for-tat attacks on oil tankers and other vessels by Iran and the US stoked concern about environmental damage to the Gulf, according to multiple media reports.UK-based maritime risk and response firm Ambrey said it has been hired to salvage a grounded Russian shadow fleet tanker off Oman's coast and to stop an oil spill that threatens wildlife, according to multiple media reports.While the threat to crude supplies has kept a floor under oil prices, concerns over global demand have capped the gains. US crude stocks rose by about 17.4 million barrels to 424.4 mmbbls in the week ended Aug. 7, according to the EIA, adding to bearish sentiment.