Asia's crude oil import landscape is facing an inflection point as new security risks in the Red Sea and lingering supply concerns in the Middle East force major buyers to overhaul their procurement strategies and tap into strategic stockpiles, Xavier Tang, senior market analyst at Vortexa, said in a Friday note.
Vortexa analysts said the shift comes as Asian nations, which imported 15 million barrels per day of crude and condensate from the Middle East Gulf in 2025, accounting for 60% of their total seaborne supply, struggle to navigate a volatile transit environment.
The latest data from Vortexa revealed that the traditional flow of oil from the Middle East has been profoundly altered by the risk of transiting the Strait of Hormuz.
Middle Eastern producers, in response, have increasingly turned to ship-to-ship transfers outside the chokepoint to ensure cargoes reach Asian markets.
STS transfers of crude from inside the Hormuz hit a record 2.3 million b/d in July, representing 53% of total imports from the region.
Tang said that by utilizing shuttle tankers to manage transit risks, producers are establishing a "new normal" for supply delivery, though overall transit levels through the strait remain erratic compared to June peaks.
The supply challenge is being compounded by renewed disruption around the Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb, which has emerged as an increasingly important alternative route for Asian refiners.
Saudi Arabia's increased use of Red Sea ports helped lift Asian crude and condensate imports from the Red Sea Gulf to 3.1 million b/d in July, or about 21% of Asia's seaborne imports excluding Middle East Gulf supplies.
However, renewed attacks around Bab el-Mandeb are putting those flows at risk just as refiners are relying more heavily on the region for medium-sour crude.
According to Vortexa's voyage calculator, rerouting a Suezmax tanker from Yanbu, Saudi Arabia, to Ulsan, South Korea, via the Cape of Good Hope adds about a month to the journey, extending travel time from 22 days to over 50 days.
The heightened risk has already prompted some vessels to divert toward the Atlantic Basin, leading to a decline in Red Sea Gulf export volumes from 4.7-4.9 million b/d in late July to 4.1-4.3 million b/d in early August.
To circumvent the chokepoint, Tang said flows have increasingly been directed through the Suez Canal and the Sumed pipeline.
Ain Sukhna crude imports have reached a record high of 1.6 million b/d, signaling full utilization of the pipeline infrastructure.
Meanwhile, with supply chains lengthening, Asian refiners are bracing for a temporary delivery crunch. While Atlantic Basin imports, which hit a record 9.3 million b/d in June, are expected to rebound as buyers seek replacement barrels, the immediate gap is being filled by onshore inventory draws.
Japan and China have led this trend, drawing down a combined 90 million barrels of crude stock since early April. Though the rest of Asia had seen moderate stock builds earlier in the summer, those trends are now reversing.
Vortexa analysts said that China, holding the region's largest reserves, is likely to lead further stock depletion as its crude imports continue to lag behind 10-year seasonal averages.